Re: [css-font-loading] feedback

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 1:58 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 6:51 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:
>> Should FontFaceSource be on the CSS global instead? CSS.fonts rather
>> than document.fonts in a document environment and self.fonts in a
>> worker environment.
>
> Maybe?  It's not strictly a CSS thing, but I dunno what's most
> appropriate here.  I don't think there's really a "correct" place, so
> it's more a matter of what patterns we generally want to develop in
> the placement of things like this.

It seems like the scope is at least wider than document. E.g.
presumably you can use these fonts on a <canvas> element located in a
document returned by XMLHttpRequest. And we might not want such
documents to contain a FontFaceSet attribute.

>> In the FontFace constructor you set status to "loading" at some point,
>> but it's not clear from which task or microtask this is done. How can
>> this be observed?
>
> I'm not sure what you mean by this.  The algorithm from step 2 onward
> is done asynchronously.  Do I need further detail?  If so, what?  (And
> also, is there written guidance on how to do it, if I'm doing it
> wrong?)

Well, you're changing the status but can that actually be observed
somehow? If not, why are you changing the status? Changing the status
of something and making that observable typically requires queuing a
task, unless you use a promise, but in that case you can only change
the status once, by resolving the promise.

>> You say "reject with a NetworkError" but you don't define
>> NetworkError. Maybe you mean a DOMException whose name is
>> "NetworkError"? Same for exception/error names mentioned elsewhere.
>
> Yes, that is what I mean.  Is there written guidance on how to
> properly invoke errors in a spec document?

Well, you could look at how http://dom.spec.whatwg.org/#concept-throw
does it... In due course this should be integrated into IDL at which
point it hopefully provides the proper wording for both normal members
and promise returning members.

--
http://annevankesteren.nl/