Re: [cssom-view] scope of the 'scroll-behavior' property

On Mon, May 26, 2014 at 8:44 PM, Simon Pieters <simonp@opera.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 25 May 2014 23:54:54 +0200, Robert O'Callahan <
> robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
>
>  On Sat, May 24, 2014 at 12:09 AM, L. David Baron <dbaron@dbaron.org>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Oh, I had assumed that 'auto' represented the user/system default,
>>> not backstop to 'scroll-behavior'.  Is it intentional that those are
>>> completely ignored?
>>>

>> Yes, it seems to me that scroll-behavior should have an 'auto' value which
>> is the initial value.
>>

> It was the API's "auto" value that was under discussion. Currently the CSS
> property does not have an "auto" value.

Yes, I was referring to the CSS property. It seems to me having an 'auto'
value for that property that falls back to UA/platform defaults would be
better than making 'smooth' do that. In particular it seems that currently
"smooth" in the JS API overrides UA defaults but CSS scroll-behavior:smooth
does not override UA defaults. It would be better if they were consistent.

>  But then I'm not sure what the use-cases are for the "initial" and
>> "smooth"
>> values of scroll-behavior.
>>

> "instant" is the initial value, and gives the same behavior as we have
> today.
>
> "smooth" allows the UA to do the scroll over a period of time in a
> UA-defined manner for scrolls triggered from navigation and from the
> scrolling APIs (unless the script specified "instant" or "smooth"
> explicitly).
>

> For use cases, please see http://www.w3.org/mid/op.
> ww4mdlp2idj3kv@simons-macbook-pro.local

Thanks. I guess that makes sense though it means scroll-behavior is a very
narrowly-useful property. I'm not sure it's worth having to be honest,
assuming we add the JS API.

Rob
waanndt  wyeonut  thoo mken.o w