Re: [css-experimental] catch-all place for new spec ideas

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 10:21 AM, John Daggett <jdaggett@mozilla.com> wrote:
> Looking over CSS drafts these days, something that strikes me is that it's often hard to distinguish experimental feature proposals from ones that are intended for actual implementation and usage.  I think it creates confusion to have new properties listed in specs labeled "CSS3 XXX" or "CSS4 YYY" when those are really pie-in-the-sky items unlikely to ever see the light of day.
>
> I think it might be interesting to have an explicit "spec" labeled "CSS Experimental" for containing various ideas that haven't been quite flushed out or need more work.  Having them all together would help in curation too. Related features belonging in different modules could be grouped together.
>
> Keeping features in a catch-all bucket like this makes it clear to authors that these features are experimental.  For implementors, it provides a simpler way of discovering existing ideas for solving given problems.

I don't think it makes much sense to have a ton of unrelated features
thrown into a single spec just to indicate they're "experimental".
Why not just figure out a way to better indicate that some feature is
experimental?

For example, we could add a small "Under Construction" icon next to
the headings of experimental sections.  Would be easy to build into
Bikeshed.