Re: [css-inline] Summary of drop-caps/initial-letters discussion

On Tue, May 20, 2014 at 6:47 PM, Christoph Päper <
christoph.paeper@crissov.de> wrote:

> fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>:
>
> > initial-letters: normal | <integer>{1,2}
> > applies to ::first-letter or the inline-level first child of a block
> container
>
> Just to be sure I understand the implications correctly:

>      special styling for its initial letters.</p>
>
> with
>
>   x {display: inline; initial-letters: 2;}
>
> or, if inherited,
>
>   p {display: block;  initial-letters: 2;}
>
> would make “span inside” (or just ‘s’ and ‘i’?) span two lines,
> despite being in the horizontal middle of the line, whereas

We're trying to avoid the difficulties inherent in applying this property
in the middle of lines, hence the restriction to this only applying to
either ::first-letter pseudo-element, or something that's the first child
of the block. In your case, x is not the first child of p, so nothing would
happen.

  x ::first-letter   {initial-letters: 2;}

> would make only the ‘s’ bleed downwards,
> but usually one would of course do

Since the x is not a block container, this doesn't work.

>   p ::first-letter   {initial-letters: 2;}
>
> to make the paragraph-initial ‘T’ two lines high.

Yes.

Regards,

Dave