Re: [css-inline] Alignment of Drop Caps

On Fri, May 16, 2014 8:14 am, Liam R E Quin wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-05-16 at 12:12 +0700, James Clark wrote:
>> They occur in scripts, such as Thai, that do not have capital letters,
>> so
>> better to avoid using the term "caps".  I would call them "dropped
>> initial
>> letters".
>
> That works for me, although "drop cap" is a pretty common term.

But dropped caps aren't the only only way to present the initial letters.
There's also raised initial letters and hanging initials (where the letter
is dropped but doesn't cut into the text).  If you want to be 'far out',
you could do a hanging initial coupled with a hanging indent.

Dropped caps and raised initials are two sides of the same thing.  E.g.,
referring to illustrations from Liam's blog post [1], there's similarities
in the mortising you'd do to fit text under the bar of a raised initial
'T' [2] and the mortising to fit text close to a dropped initial 'A' [3]
or 'L' [4].

> For Chinese, another option I have seen (also Japanese) is to draw a
> solid border around the first, larger, character, and fit it to the
> grid, and then it fits to the grid rather than to the slightly smaller
> character height, but again more research is needed.

JIS X 4051 doesn't cover drop caps as such.  That and JLReq do cover
cut-in headings (http://www.w3.org/TR/jlreq/#processing_of_cutin_heading)
in vertical text, which are not quite the same thing.  That's not to say
that people haven't done large initial characters with Japanese anyway.

Regards,

Tony Graham                                         tgraham@mentea.net
Consultant                                       http://www.mentea.net
Chair, Print and Page Layout Community Group @ W3C    XML Guild member
Mentea       XML, XSL-FO and XSLT consulting, training and programming

[1] http://barefootliam.blogspot.ca/2014/05/bruce-rogers-on-drop-caps.html
[2]
https://1.bp.blogspot.com/-NmDYh8TDVfI/U22f0rg2DII/AAAAAAAAAaE/LmqcKdRlA_M/s1600/114-drop-cap-examples-j.jpg
[3]