Re: [css3-text] anonymous inline of collapsible white space are *not* always removed

On 11/19/2013 12:00 AM, Slobber Chopz wrote:
> In the css3 draft: http://www.w3.org/TR/css3-text/#white-space-processing
> it states that:
>
>  "Note that anonymous inlines consisting entirely of collapsible
>   white space are removed from the rendering tree. See [CSS21]
>   section 9.2.2.1"
>
> and below it defines 'collapsible white space' to be:
>
>  "If ‘white-space’ is set to ‘normal’, ‘nowrap’, or ‘pre-line’,
>   white space characters are considered collapsible..."
>
> but according to the referenced css21 section 9.2.2.1:
>
>  "White space content that would subsequently be collapsed away
>   according to the 'white-space' property does not generate any
>   anonymous inline boxes."
>
> Note "that would subsequently be collapsed away", it is not
> enough to be "collapsible" and *maybe* subsequently collapsed.
> (This interpretation & behavior is definitely accepted, for
> example in webkit/chrome.)

You are correct. I've changed the note to talk about anonymous
blocks instead of anonymous inlines, thus:

   # Note that anonymous blocks consisting entirely of collapsible
   # white space are removed from the rendering tree. Thus any such
   # white space surrounding a block-level element is collapsed away.

I believe that should be correct and also helpful. :) Let me
know if not, or if you have a better suggestion for the note.

Thanks for the report!

~fantasai