Whitespace in calc() and <An+B> (was: Re: Agenda conf call 07-may-2014)

On 07/05/2014 10:20, Daniel Glazman wrote:
> Before our call later today, I would like to forward here verbatim
> comments from css authors I recently met and had a long chat with:
>
> 1. the whitespace and sign constraints inside both calc() and
>     :nth-*() pseudos are painful to remember and prone to
>     errors; they also impact readability and maintainability.
>     CSS authors don't want to know about constraints imposed by the
>     CSS tokenization, it should just work intuitively.

For calc(), I beleive Simon’s proposal would fix this. Please comment there:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2014Apr/0480.html

For <An+B> (In the :nth-*() pseudos), what constraint specifically is
this referring to? The <An+B> grammar (which authors do not need to
know), is so complicated precisely to work around CSS tokenization and
relax whitespace constraints for authors.

http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-syntax/#the-anb-type

That said, I’m not opposed to changing it. What specific change do you
think would help?

--
Simon Sapin