[css-line-grid] limiting level 1 to dominant baselines

On 3/19/14, 5:00 PM, "Liam R E Quin" <liam@w3.org> wrote:

>On Wed, 2014-03-19 at 09:27 -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 8:30 PM, Alan Stearns <stearns@adobe.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > 1. I think that aligning the first baseline of the block to a grid
>>line
>> > would be useful.
>
>+1
>
>Aligning things to the x-height, cap-height or small-cap-height of the
>first line is also used, e.g. if you have two columns of text with
>differing line spacing.

I agree that all of these options can be useful. But my perception has
been that one of the factors limiting progress on baseline grids in CSS is
the profusion of possibilities.

The current draft only mentions snapping the dominant baseline to the
matching baseline on the grid. I think I would prefer to keep this
limitation for the first level of the line-grid spec. Choosing which
baseline to snap to which grid line could come later, if we actually
achieve a dominant baseline snap first.

Thanks,

Alan