Re: [css-variables] ...let's change the syntax

On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:38 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 11:29 AM, Andrew Fedoniouk
> <news@terrainformatica.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 10:55 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> That's literally the exact opposite of the intention that led me to
>>> start this thread.  I'm trying to make custom properties and variables
>>> *less* connected, not more.
>>>

>> If they are not variables the let's use const() then
>>
>> p {
>>        const(company-color-1): green;
>>        background-color: const(company-color-1);
>>    }
>>
>> Or some as such.
>
> You don't seem to understand what I meant when I said that's the exact
> opposite of why I started the thread, because this suggestion is
> *still* the exact opposite.
>
>> The main goal as far as I understand is to separate standard
>> properties namespace from
>> custom ones. The only strict way of doing this in existing CSS syntax
>> constructs is
>> function notation. All these '-' and '_' tricks are really palliatives.
>
> Separating the namespace out is already done - the current spec's use
> of a "var-" prefix accomplishes that.  This thread is meant to explore
> alternatives that would mesh better with the *other* author-custom
> things getting added, which don't have any connection to var().

considering that we already have things like `white-space: ...`  etc.
that 'var-something' is also quite an ugly palliative.

All programming languages that have well thought syntax design
have special means for strict namespace separation and its use.

I really don't see why CSS shall use hacks instead of real and stable
on long run solutions.

Your proposal as far as I understand it:

p {
        company_color_1: green;
        background-color: company_color_1;
        /* or (I am not sure which one is correct) */
        background-color: prop(company_color_1);
    }

against this one:

p {
        const(company-color-1): green;
        background-color: const(company-color-1);
    }

I do not see any principal differences except of robust namespace
separation.

--
Andrew Fedoniouk.

http://terrainformatica.com