Re: [css-variables] ...let's change the syntax

On Mon, Mar 17, 2014 at 3:20 PM, Sylvain Galineau <galineau@adobe.com>wrote:

> On Mar 17, 2014, at 12:04 PM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:
>
> > * Sylvain Galineau wrote:
> >> I do not think it is useful or helpful to extrapolate Pavlov reflexes
> >> from the past, at least not without some context. There is a huge
> >> difference between the infamous:
> >>
> >> #something {
> >>      -webkit-border-radius: 5px;
> >>      -moz-border-radius: 5px;
> >>      -o-border-radius: 5px;
> >>      border:radius: 5px;
> >> }
> >>
> >> ...and an hypothetical future:
> >>
> >> .orOther {
> >>      width: 200px
> >>      height: 200px;
> >>      --jquery-scroll: carousel(...);
> >>      --sassy-framework-says: groovy;
> >> }
> >>

> > I am more concerned about having to debug through
> >
> >  #something {
> >    -webkit-border-radius: 5px;
> >    width: 200px
> >    -moz-border-radius: 5px;
> >    height: 200px;
> >    -jquery-scroll: carousel(...);
> >    -o-border-radius: 5px;
> >    border:radius: 5px;
> >    -sassy-framework-says: groovy;
> >  }
> >
> > to use your example.
> > --
>
> Sure, this can happen as long as some browser vendors preserve prefixes.
> But I'm not sure why this would be worse than:
>
> >  #something {
> >    -webkit-border-radius: 5px;
> >    width: 200px
> >    -moz-border-radius: 5px;
> >    height: 200px;
> >    --scroll: carousel(...);
> >    -o-border-radius: 5px;
> >    border:radius: 5px;
> >    --says: groovy;
> >  }
>

> ...where the custom props carry no information as to what makes use of them.
> Which is harder to investigate?

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the relatively small community who would create
these would prefix them anyway... I think it is worth codifying it and
considering what that will mean.  Note:  I think we determined "--" is a
parser change which it is almost certainly too late for.