Re: [css-variables] ...let's change the syntax

On Mar 17, 2014, at 11:08 AM, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:

> * Sylvain Galineau wrote:
>> They were traumatized by the need to write the same property with 4 or 5
>> different prefixes. Unless we have reason to expect future pages to load
>> n versions of the same custom property I do not believe the scenario at
>> hand to be quite comparable.
>
> Accordingly they associate seeing "-vnd-" in source code with trouble
> but custom properties are not meant to be interpreted as trouble.

I do not think it is useful or helpful to extrapolate Pavlov reflexes from the past, at least not without some context. There is a huge difference between the infamous:

#something {
	-webkit-border-radius: 5px;
	-moz-border-radius: 5px;
	-o-border-radius: 5px;
	border:radius: 5px;
}

…and an hypothetical future:

.orOther {
	width: 200px
	height: 200px;
	—jquery-scroll: carousel(...);
	—sassy-framework-says: groovy;
}

The former is 100% redundant; it is pure tax on the author. Not only is the latter not redundant but *those* prefixes do yield useful additional information about a property i.e. what it depends on at runtime. I do not think our opinion of authors needs to be so low we should assume they couldn't tell the difference.

Though again, I do not believe this kind of prefixing needs to be required. It is sufficient that it can be done as needed.