Re: [css-font-loading] how/when do FontFace objects end up in a FontFaceSet

Tab Atkins wrote:

>> Hmmm, I think we should go the other way. Have load() return a promise
>> and leave ready() as it was. The ready() method is the only way to
>> passively observe individual font loads using Promises (e.g. a user
>> altering a textfield may induce the loading of a fallback font).
>
> Is there a reason to passively observe an individual font using
> promises?  I can't think of any good ones, and the lack can be hacked
> around by using the events.

Well, I don't think we should try and predict exactly when authors
would use promises vs. when they would use events. I can imagine
scenarios where they would use a mixture of font preloading and lazy
promises are used to respond to font availability then I don't think
it makes sense to distinguish active loads vs. passive loads. So I
think the ready() method makes sense and it makes the FontFace
interface match FontFaceSet interface which is a good thing.

>>> Construction doesn't mention anything about automatically adding it
>>> to the document's font source, so it doesn't do so.
>>
>> I think the spec should state that explicitly.
>
> Done.

Great! Were you going to push the changes?

Cheers,

John Daggett