RE: I18N-ISSUE-341: [css3-background] border-left-* and border-right-* [CSS3-Backgrounds-and-Borders]

> On 02/20/2014 01:55 PM, Internationalization Working Group Issue Tracker
> wrote:
> > I18N-ISSUE-341: [css3-background] border-left-* and border-right-*
> > [CSS3-Backgrounds-and-Borders]
> >
> > http://www.w3.org/International/track/issues/341

> > Raised by: Addison Phillips
> > On product: CSS3-Backgrounds-and-Borders
> >
> > Document: http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-css3-background-20140204/

> > Section 4. Similar to I18N-ISSUE-340, should there be a border-start-*
> > and border-end-* set of keywords, allowing one to control the
> > leading/trailing edge of borders dependent on the container direction?
> >
> > This issued was discussed by I18N WG here:
> > http://www.w3.org/2014/02/20-i18n-minutes.html#item04

> I do consider this to be an open issue and one that I'd like to resolve, but logical
> properties are out of scope for CSS Backgrounds and Borders Level 3, which is
> not accepting new features at this time.
>
> Thanks for keeping the pressure on, we'll hopefully get to them!
>
> Please let us know if this is acceptable.

The I18N WG considered your response in our teleconference this week [1]. We're not really "satisfied" by this, since CSS has long been aware of the difference between physical (left/right) and logical (start/end) keywords and the need for the logical types to support bidirectional content (generally, both are needed). We don't have a formal objection, but we hope that Style will make the extra effort to incorporate these types of features into future specifications from the start, as well as addressing these in L4.

Regards (for I18N),

Addison

Addison Phillips
Globalization Architect (Amazon Lab126)