Re: [css-shapes] new Last Call Working Draft published

Alan Stearns wrote:

 > The CSS WG has published a Last Call Working Draft of the CSS Shapes
 > Module Level 1:
 >
 >     http://www.w3.org/TR/2014/WD-css-shapes-1-20140211/

 > please, prefix the subject line with

The draft, as it stands, has issues.

First, by describing the shape of an element in the style sheet,
content and presentation is mixed. If images had been referred to in
the style sheet (like background images are), this would probably have
been ok, but when the elements are HTML elements, CSS should not
describe their shapes. Doing so result in style sheets that are not
reusable -- they are tied to a specific document with specific HTML
elements. This model favors authoring tools and discourages style
sheet reuse.

Second, the draft uses dummy DIV elements to achive presentational
effects. This problem is discussed at some length here:

  http://alistapart.com/blog/post/css-regions-considered-harmful

Third, there is a way to refer to a shape in the image itself, as
opposed to writing poloygons in CSS. That's good. However, only the
alpha channel of the image can be used. I believe it is much more
natural for authors to use the visible luminance of the image, and
this option should be added. The current model favors authoring tools.

I ask for this issues to be addressed before progressing the draft.

My previous commets to the draft are here:

  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2013Sep/0321.html
  http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2011Dec/0482.html

And here's a model for runaraound content without the problems
described above:

  http://figures.spec.whatwg.org/

Cheers,

-h&kon