Re: [css-grid] Punt subgrids to level 2?

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 12:45 PM, fantasai
<fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>> I know it's currently at-risk, but I don't feel like that section of
>> the spec will be CR-ready before Chrome and IE are ready to ship
>> implementations of the rest of the spec publicly.  We should go ahead
>> and punt it now, rather than pretending that it'll stay through to CR
>> or delaying the CR of the spec due to this.
>
> That would be equivalent to shipping Regions with only element-based
> region containers. The reason many people in the WG are against that
> is because it encourages bad markup design. Shipping grid without
> subgrid also encourages bad markup design. Worse, in fact, because it
> requires *stripping* markup that otherwise would be there, not just
> adding in a few extraneous empty elements.
>
> So I find this proposal problematic and I find your logic inconsistent.

I'm not sure what's inconsistent about it; could you elaborate?

It is slightly problematic - you know that I agree with you that
subgrids are a valuable feature.  But what's more valuable than
subgrids is *making Grid usable at all*, and implementations are ready
to go right now.  Grid is extremely valuable, and I don't think it
should be delayed any further for features that are valuable but not
required for an initial implementation.  *Most* use-cases of Grid,
including the major one of overall page layout, are fine without
subgrid, and shouldn't be delayed.

~TJ