Re: [css-font-loading] the Set-like API on FontFaceSet

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2014 14:33:26 -0700
To: Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au>
Cc: "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
On Sun, Jun 29, 2014 at 8:12 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> I'm uneasy about FontFaceSet including all of the things that are on Set.
> I'm happy to keep some of them, and to have them be compatible with Set in
> case we ever work out how to really subclass Set.  I'm not keen about
> duplicating the entire Set API on every set-like interface we come up with
> until we figure that problem out.  So I feel like we should go with the
> absolute minimum to allow the inspection and manipulation of the FontFaceSet
> for now.

I'm fairly strongly opposed to making case-by-case edits to things
that look like sets; it's a footgun for authors to have to remember
precisely which subset of Set/Map functionality a particular interface
chose to copy, particularly as it would vary across interfaces if this
became standard practice.

I'm also quite unhappy with the "copy the entire Set/Map interface
into everything that wants to be Set/Map-like", but I consider that a
bug on JS/WebIDL's end. ^_^

~TJ