Re: [css3-ui] controlling the orientation of progress/meter/range

On Thu, Jun 26, 2014 at 6:41 AM, Jonathan Kew <jfkthame@gmail.com> wrote:
> So I'd like to propose - given that a number of people, in earlier
> discussions, seemed to think that a presentational attribute in HTML was not
> the appropriate solution - a CSS property 'orient' (or 'orientation'?),
> something like this:
>
>   Name: orient
>   Value: inline-axis | block-axis | horizontal | vertical | circular
>   Initial: inline-axis
>   Inherited: no (?)
>   Media: visual
>   Computed value: same as specified value (?)
>   Percentages: n/a
>   Animatable: no

I agree with this.  Some nits:

1. Just use "inline" and "block".  I don't think there's a need to
invoke -axis here.

2. I'd avoid "circular" or any other new types unless a browser is
actually proposing to add such a display variant.

> Some open questions: should this property inherit? I'm guessing not; is that
> appropriate?

Correct, it should not.  It doesn't matter too much here, but
generally this class of properties that affect an element rather than
a context don't inherit.

> Should its computed value equal the specified value, or should
> it resolve 'inline-axis' and 'block-axis' to one of the physical
> orientations, based on the value of writing-mode?

No, keep it specified value.  Don't interact with writing-mode unless
necessary; it makes computed-time more complicated.

> Are there other elements
> where specifying orientation would be useful?

I don't think there are in HTML, but this would be defined as being
language-specific in effect anyway; CSS can't define what it actually
means except in broad strokes.  If there are any other elements where
it has an effect, the host language has to define that.