Re: [css-flexbox] Behaviour of percentage heights in column direction

From: Jon Rimmer <jon.rimmer@gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2014 04:42:42 +0100
To: Greg Whitworth <gwhit@microsoft.com>
Cc: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 21 June 2014 03:33, Greg Whitworth <gwhit@microsoft.com> wrote:
>> I think the answer is that both Chrome and Firefox/IE are partly
>> wrong: Chrome should treat flex items with a percentage flex basis in a
>> definitely sized container as having a definite size. Firefox/IE should treat flex
>> items that don't match those conditions as having an indefinite size.
>>
>> Jon
>>
>> > ~TJ
>
> We currently treat it as indefinite if the main-size is based solely on its contents. But in the scenarios we've covered so far they aren't indefinite.   :)

The problem is, determining the size of flex items, even when they're
within a definitely sized parent container, requires you to calculate
their content size when they don't have a definite flex basis. See
item E in the algorithm for calculating the flex base size.[1]

If the size of their content is playing into their own sizing
algorithm, then they can't be definite.

Jon

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-flexbox/#algo-main-item