Re: Cross Referencing Between Elements

From: Bobby Mozumder <mozumder@futureclaw.com>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2014 11:40:53 -0400
Cc: Marat Tanalin <mtanalin@yandex.ru>, Brian Blakely <anewpage.media@gmail.com>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
To: Boris Zbarsky <bzbarsky@mit.edu>
Not sure how Iíd reference the state of another element with this right-hand spec proposal.  Iíve had several times where i needed at least simple cross references to just things like :hover.

For example, change the color of an element based on if some other element in the DOM tree has :hover on it, or :active.  I donít see how a selector on the right-hand side can select that state. (maybe store the state in the source element as a variable?)

CSS does need a stateful representational model that perhaps includes time-domain considerations and variable storageÖ this could get rid of a lot of Javascript usage.

-bobby
---
Bobby Mozumder
Editor-in-Chief