Re: [cssom-view] Moving forward on subpixel positioning for offset*/client*/scroll* properties

From: Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2014 13:56:22 -0700
To: "Robert O'Callahan" <robert@ocallahan.org>
Cc: www-style <www-style@w3.org>
On Wed, Jun 11, 2014 at 2:24 PM, Robert O'Callahan <robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> Following up on the F2F notes...
>
> For offset*: getBoxQuads totally subsumes these properties and avoids the
> craziness of offsetParent at the same time. I don't think we need to add
> anything more here.

So you mean we could just ignore those entirely and declare them
legacy, trusting gBQ to address the problem with subpixel precision?

> For scroll*: per list feedback, these are the properties that we reallly
> want to support subpixel for. Maybe the compat impact of changing just these
> properties to float would be acceptable? It wasn't clear to me from the
> discussion. Maybe we'll find out soon :-).

We had some breakage with internal properties last time we tried to do
so, but I believe they've been fixed now.  We keep trying to just turn
this on.

> For client*: I think the simplest way forward for these properties (and for
> scroll*, if we need to) is to add new box types to BoxType that expose an
> element's scrollport rect and "scrolled content" rects.

Yes please!  I still have no idea what scroll/client/offset actually
mean until I look up a tutorial, every time.