Re: [css-scoping] Renaming :host and :host-context

On Sun, Jun 8, 2014 at 4:45 PM, Daniel Freedman <dfreedm@google.com> wrote:
> I don't think this would be a positive change. :host refers to the host
> element, not the shadow root itself. A rename to :shadow-root would be
> conceptually incorrect.
>
> The same argument applies to :host-context.

This. I am absolutely opposed to :shadow-root for this reason, because
it's simply wrong.  It only "reduces author-exposed vocabulary" by
incorrectly folding distinct terms together.

> As a more practical point, :host is the only way to affect styling on the
> host element independent of selector identity, and as such will be used by
> developers in practically every root.
>
> Making that name longer for the sake of "alignment" is a disservice to
> developers.

And this as well.  Length is an important consideration when something
is going to be used a lot.

~TJ