Re: [css-variables] a more "Classical" approach

From: François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2014 15:27:33 +0200
To: Rafał Pietrak <rafal@ztk-rp.eu>, <www-style@w3.org>
Hi Rafal,

> $my-style, h1, $my-other-style { color: green; font-size: 120%}
> strong, $my-style { font-weight: bold}
> table tfoot a {font: $my-style}
> div.help { $my-style; border:1pt }

There is a slight misunderstanding here. The [css-variables] specs defines
"Custom Properties". What you propose is a Macro system similar to what you
can have in C/C++. Those are two different things which aim at solving
different use cases (though some use cases can be solved by both approaches,
this isn't a requirement per se).

FWIW, the “$” char has been used for Custom Properties in the past but is
now reserved for a Macro system like the one you propose; it will be
introduced in the coming years once Custom Properties will have more
implementations.

Best regards,
François

> The original proposal does allow for "if (x > 5) this.width = 10", which I
> think is simply wrong.
This isn't quite true. The idea is that you can write almost anything in a
custom property, including things that does not mean anything in CSS, like
in this case; if you try to use it anywhere, it still isn't valid CSS. Maybe
this confusing example should be removed.