Re: CSS overprinting

On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:13 AM, Jan Tosovsky <j.tosovsky@email.cz> wrote:

> On 2014-07-31 Rik Cabanier wrote:
> >
> > Let the postprocessors deal with this. They know best what colors they
> > output and the characteristics of the output device. They also
> > determine overprint AFTER opacity and blending is resolved so they can
> > make the right decision.
> >

> How about cases where your output will be printed on non-white (e.g.
> black) medium? This info is outside the RIP workflow... but e.g. white
> lines requires opposite settings in this case.

Why would that be outside the RIP's workflow? It would for sure know what
the output medium is going to be so it can adjust the colors.
You are proving my point that overprint should not be user controlled
though. If a designer marks black text or artwork as overprint and the
artwork ends up on black paper using some exotic print system, the
overprinted black text will disappear.