negative margin for sup/sub-scripting

From: Rafał Pietrak <rafal@ztk-rp.eu>
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 11:22:00 +0200
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
Hello the list,

Checking on sub/super-script styling, from
(http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/box.html) I read: "Negative values for margin
properties are allowed, but there may be implementation-specific limits."

Bo I tried the negative margin values, and they don't give an "expected
results" of "collapsing" the space used up by a superscript box
(example: http://jsfiddle.net/KxRx6/). I understand, that that's why
people are struggling to control line height and style the
super/sub-scripting by other means (example:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/501671/superscript-in-css-only).

I'm not quite sure why negative margins don't work for those cases. Was
there any additional specs since CSS2 above (that would give authors the
"expected disregard for box-height" in cases such as line height
coordination when sub/super-scripting is used)? If not, could that be
considered? To the point where a declaration like "{margin: -100%}"
would make a box not use any space at all ... while still being
displayed with it's ordinary height/width, and at the original position?
Could the freedom in "implementation-speciffic limit" of CSS2, currently
be a little more constrained with an explicitly stated implementation
requirements like the above?

-R