Re: [css-flexbox] Should a flex container's "overflow directions" be established by its main/cross axes? (instead of its block/inline directions)

From: Daniel Holbert <dholbert@mozilla.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 10:31:09 -0700
To: Greg Whitworth <gwhit@microsoft.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 07/30/2014 08:33 AM, Greg Whitworth wrote:
> Chrome is still flowing in the same direction as column (thus
overflowing at the bottom)
> while IE and FF are flowing in the reverse of column (thus overflowing at the top).

I don't think that's the case (RE chrome overflowing at the bottom) --
at least, on my system, I see the following with "overflow:auto" set, on
the column-reverse side of the testcase[1] I linked in my original post
here:

 ---------
 |     ^ |
 |  2  | |
 |     o |
 |  1  v |
 ---------

The scrollbar starts out scrolled to the bottom, implying that it's
giving us access to scrollable overflow off the top.

Moreover, if I remove "overflow:auto" (and replace it with "margin-top"
to add some space above the flex container), I clearly see flex items
overflowing off the top of the flex container, and nothing overflowing
off the bottom.

So, I think Chrome is (like Firefox & IE) having the flex items overflow
off of the top here. The question is just whether that overflow area is
reachable via scrolling, when "overflow" is non-visible.

> using the dev tools you can mouse over the items and see this clearly

I don't think I was able to see what you're describing here (in Chrome's
dev tools), but I wouldn't be surprised if this is just a bug in their
dev tools, rather than in their flexbox implementation. :)

~Daniel

[1] https://bug1042151.bugzilla.mozilla.org/attachment.cgi?id=8460329