Re: [CSSOM View] Extensions to Element.scrollLeft and Element.scrollTop are not valid WebIDL

From: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2014 06:01:13 +0000
To: Jet Villegas W3C <w3c@junglecode.net>
CC: Kip Gilbert <kgilbert@mozilla.com>, "www-style@w3c.org" <www-style@w3c.org>
Allow me to re-write my previous reply, as I replied without fully understanding the proposal.

>   void scrollTo(double x, double y, optional ScrollOptions options);

I agree that this is cleaner. However, what the API means in regards to writing modes is a bit unclear to me.

Are they absolute? In other words, does “x” mean distance from left regardless of writing modes?

If yes, I would like to consider adding “right” or “logical” option, because distance from left is not very useful when the document grows to left, such as bi-directional or vertical-rl.

Also, “block" might be a nice addition, so that authors can jump to a specific line position regardless of its principal writing mode[1].

[1] http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-writing-modes/#principal-writing-mode

/koji