Re: [css-text] I18N-ISSUE-316: Line breaking defaults

From: Richard Ishida <ishida@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2014 19:22:34 +0100
To: Koji Ishii <kojiishi@gluesoft.co.jp>
CC: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>, "CSS WWW Style (www-style@w3.org)" <www-style@w3.org>, www International <www-international@w3.org>
On 25/05/2014 06:28, Koji Ishii wrote:
> I’m very happy to hear feedback where existing implementations do differently from UAX#14, so that we could examine each issue and decide whether or how to fix them.

That information is available as follows:

For general characters:

Line break, BA: Break after characters
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repository/css3-text/line-break-baspglwj/results-ba#ba_space
(good support on the whole, but some categories not or half-heartedly
supported by Firefox and IE - seems like just a question of adding them
to a list somewhere)

SP, ZW: Non-tailorable spaces
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repository/css3-text/line-break-baspglwj/results-gl-wj#sp
(all supported)

GL: Non-breaking ("Glue")
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repository/css3-text/line-break-baspglwj/results-gl-wj#gl
(all supported, except for 3 tibetan chars in FF and IE)

WJ: Word joiner
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repository/css3-text/line-break-baspglwj/results-gl-wj#wj
(all supported)

For CJK in the default case:

OP: Opening punctuation, CL: Closing punctuation & NS: Non-starters
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repository/css3-text/line-break-opclns/results-opclns
(good support for Chrome, Safari & Opera - significant gaps but also a
fair amount of support from FF and IE - again, maybe just need a list
updating?)

NS: Non-starters, small kana
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repository/css3-text/line-break-opclns/results-opclns#kana
(full support by FF and Safari, but no support for Chrome, Safari & Opera)

This last, small category appears to be the only one where systematic
differences appear for the different browsers*. My guess is that, for
the other characters, we are rather looking at a lack of items in a list.

Hope that helps,
RI

* There are a set of tests for the line-break property for Japanese
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repository/css3-text/line-break-jazh/results-ja
and Chinese
http://www.w3.org/International/tests/repository/css3-text/line-break-jazh/results-zh
which appear to bear out this difference in philosophy.

PS: All the above tests have been copied to the CSS Test Suite.