Re: [css3-background] PFWG input on focus ring

From: Antony Kennedy <booshtukka@me.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2014 22:43:59 +0000
Cc: Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>, CSS WG <www-style@w3.org>, WAI Liaison <wai-liaison@w3.org>
To: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>

> On 23 Jul 2014, at 15:14, fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net> wrote:
>
> On 07/23/2014 06:26 PM, Antony Kennedy wrote:
>>
>>> A user can disable such modifications by restricting it via !important
>>> rules in the user style sheet (or an equivalent UI control) just like
>>> disabling author-specified colors and fonts.
>>
>> A user can set their own outline with !important, but out of interest,
>> is there a way for them to stop the author overriding browser defaults?
>
> Yes. From CSS’s perspective, the browser defaults are represented
> in the cascade as user-level style rules. So making those rules
> !important (or in any case having them enter the cascade at the
> user !important level) will "stop the author overriding browser
> defaults".
>
> This is how we represent all such preferences, such as default
> colors and fonts.
>
> ~fantasai

Sure, but perhaps I am misunderstanding here.

If I am writing my own user stylesheet, and I want to say "do not allow the author to change the focus outline from the browser defaults" is there a way I can do that without duplicating the browser defaults in my user stylesheet?

I understand the vendor could add !important, or I could write my own rules, but I am interested in knowing if there is a way to mark certain rules as immutable, even if the vendor has not done this themselves.