Re: [css3-ui] Does `resize` apply to generated content?

On 24 July 2014 21:53, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 24, 2014 at 12:43 PM, Lea Verou <lea@verou.me> wrote:
> > I tested the `resize` property on various browsers today and the results
> > were buggy everywhere [1]. WebKit/Blink shows a resize handler which does
> > nothing, and Gecko is even weirder, showing a resize handler on the
> > pseudo-element, that resizes the parent!
> >
> > I posted about this on twitter, and some authors were not even sure
> whether
> > the property should apply to generated content [2][3]. css3-ui states it
> > should apply to “elements with ‘overflow’ other than visible” in the
> propdef
> > table [4]. Does this include pseudo-elements? Is there an editorial issue
> > here?
> >
> > [1]: http://dabblet.com/gist/ab432c3f6a8f672cd077
> > [2]: https://twitter.com/leaverou/status/492388401141010432
> > [3]: https://twitter.com/sarasoueidan/status/492389394574102528
> > [4]: http://dev.w3.org/csswg/css-ui/#resize
>
> "elements" includes the full-features pseudo-elements (::before and
> ::after) unless otherwise specified.
>
> However, I know that at least Chrome implements resizing by applying
> width/height properties directly in the style='' attribute on the
> element, which pseudo-elements obviously don't have.  That's probably
> what's happening in Gecko too, it just walks up to the generating
> element to find something with a style='' attribute.

Exactly, Gecko sets the related properties on the 'style' attribute.

When an element is resized by the user, the user agent keeps track of a
> resize factor (which is initially 1.0) for the width and height, which it
> then applies to the computed width and height as part of determining the
> used width and height.

So what would be the proper implementation of this resize factor? Should
the user have access to it or is it just a value stored internally by the
user agent?

Sebastian