CSS3 specificity

From: Max Design <info@maxdesign.com.au>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2014 20:28:04 +0000
To: www-style@w3.org
Hi there

I have a question regarding more recent definitions of the cascade process.

In CSS2, specificity was measured with three concatenated numbers: 0,0,0

Apparently, David Barron was the first to suggest a change for CSS2.1
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/1999Feb/0001.html

In CSS2.1, specificity was measured using four concatenated numbers: 0,0,0,0
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS2/cascade.html

"count 1 if the declaration is from is a 'style' attribute rather than a rule with a selector, 0 otherwise (= a) (In HTML, values of an element's "style" attribute are style sheet rules. These rules have no selectors, so a=1, b=0, c=0, and d=0.)

In the newer CSS3 specificity model, specificity is again measured using three concatenated numbers: 0,0,0

Referenced here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/2013/CR-css-cascade-3-20131003/

And defined here
http://www.w3.org/TR/selectors/#specificity

If I read both documents, there is no reference to inline styles at all. Inline styles are not described under Origin or importance:

	 Transition declarations [CSS3-TRANSITIONS]
	 Important user agent declarations
	 Important user declarations
	 Important override declarations [DOM-LEVEL-2-STYLE]
	 Important author declarations
	 Animation declarations [CSS3-ANIMATIONS]
	 Normal override declarations [DOM-LEVEL-2-STYLE]
	 Normal author declarations
	 Normal user declarations
	 Normal user agent declarations

So, my question... CSS2.1 helped to define how inline styles play out in the cascade order. Am I missing something in CSS3 which defined where inline styles are weighted?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks
Russ