Re: [css-variables] a more "Classical" approach

From: Dave Kok <email@davekok.nl>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2014 15:20:08 +0000
To: RafaƂ Pietrak <rafal@ztk-rp.eu>, <www-style@w3.org>
<quote>
IMHO, such css-variables are simpler to "define and comprehend", then
the proposed "--*" / "var()", and do not open gates to "programming",
e.g. conditional behavior other then "cascading". The original proposal
does allow for "if (x > 5) this.width = 10", which I think is simply
wrong.
</quote>

Many seem afraid of this programming in CSS. Personally I would like
CSS to break out of it's document, style, logic prison in which it is
only allowed to do the style part. And have CSS embrace the
model-view-controller architecture in which it may do the view part. So
you can have XML, JSON or whatever be the model, have CSS be the view
and have javascript or whatever be the controller. I think this would be
a natural next step for CSS to evolve to.

--
Dave Kok