Re: [css-values-4] String concatenation

On Tue, 22 Jul 2014 14:14:51 -0700
"Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 22, 2014 at 9:47 AM, François REMY

> > We can however do the exact same thing within "calc".
> >
> >    calc("a" + "b") // "ab"
> >
> > But it means that calc() may end up having different types depending on its
> > content (albeit it is possible to know it at parse time)
>
> Already completely true - calc() can represent a <number>, an
> <integer>, a <length>, etc depending on its contents.

You also have to consider what calc(attr("data-quantity") + 1) should do,
(1) if data-quantity has the value "hello"
(2) if data-quantity has the value "6"
and (3) if you our answers to 1 and 2 are different in nature, how do we guarantee string concatenation when the att value appears numeric, or, how do we get addition?
(4) if the data-quantity has the value "14 cathedrals" should I get "15" back?

Liam