Re: [css-values-4] String concatenation

From: Christoph Päper <christoph.paeper@crissov.de>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2014 18:24:17 +0200
To: www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com>:

> Not sure if my point went through, but what I meant is not that string concatenation should not be considered, but that using the bare bone "+" symbol for it was looking odd to me considering others and more frequent use cases of the "+" symbol require a wrapping.

IIRC, back when ‘calc()’ was being proposed someone suggested to use some kind of brackets, ‘(’/‘)’ or ‘{’/’}’ or ‘[’/‘]’ or ‘<’/‘>’, to establish a special context inside values wherein the usual symbols ‘+’, ‘-’, ‘*’ and ‘/’ could be used to combine values. The plus sign could have been used with length and string values differently.