Re: [css-values-4] String concatenation

On Jul 19, 2014, at 4:21 AM, François REMY <francois.remy.dev@outlook.com> wrote:

> I'll admit I'm scratching my head over this one. Concatenating strings is a fringe use case on a layout system like CSS, while adding numbers is something really common. Optimizing one and not the other [1] looks to be a huge prioritization mistake to me. If mathematics are not worth more than a "calc" function, I see no reason explaining string concatenation would be worth an inline syntax.

I'm sorry, this isn't a good argument; that we give the wrong priority to something is no reason to give no priority to something else. (Assuming there was a wrong prioritization to begin with).

The decision and the design should be based on use-cases; in the quoted IRC thread Lea mentions using attr() in url() being useful for things like data URIs. Lea, can you elaborate on what you had in mind?