Re: [css-text] I18N-ISSUE-308: Definition of 'grapheme cluster'

From: John Cowan <cowan@mercury.ccil.org>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2014 19:21:56 -0400
To: "Phillips, Addison" <addison@lab126.com>
Cc: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>, "CSS WWW Style (www-style@w3.org)" <www-style@w3.org>, www International <www-international@w3.org>
Phillips, Addison scripsit:

> What the Unicode Standard actually defines is default grapheme
> clustering. Some languages require tailoring to this default. For
> example, a Slovak user might wish to treat the default pair of grapheme
> clusters "ch" as a single grapheme cluster.

It may be worth taking into account that current versions of UTR 29
have split default grapheme clusters into legacy grapheme clusters (for
backward compatibility) and extended grapheme clusters (which incorporate
spacing as well as non-spacing combining marks, and are recommended).

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan@ccil.org
If a traveler were informed that such a man [as Lord John Russell] was