Re: [css-animations] What happens if a @keyframes rule is added after the fact?

On Jul 16, 2014, at 10:29 PM, Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com> wrote:

> On 2014/07/16 10:49, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
>> We will discuss this on the call tomorrow but I took a first stab at covering this in this ED revision: https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/csswg/rev/2953a647c222
>
> Thanks Sylvain! This looks better. I was going to send a PR eventually but you were much faster.

It's the first time in a while I hear something about css-animations editing called 'fast' *cough*

Btw, the latest update is here https://dvcs.w3.org/hg/csswg/rev/406b08f4fcbc

It adds a clarification at the end of that paragraph following a question from Simon. Namely, if your @keyframes rule was empty and you later add style rules in it, does it cause the animation to start from the beginning? The answer was no i.e. no different from programmatically adding/remove style rules from any other @keyframes rule -> nothing gets restarted. (Though a running animation may be impacted). You OK with that?

> Regarding when the style is resolved I wondered if the "style change event" terminology David added to transitions would work here?[1]

Good question. That's definitely something to think about but it also sounds like a significant rewrite. Not that the current prose is awesome but I'm not going to embark on that without input from David and others, including about whether they think it's something we want to do.