Re: [css-transforms] Making 'transform' match author expectations better with specialized 'rotate'/etc shorthands

From: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 14:21:30 +1000
Cc: Shane Stephens <shans@google.com>, Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: "Tab Atkins Jr." <jackalmage@gmail.com>

> On 16 Jul 2014, at 13:49, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalmage@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Whether or not to use the list form is just "are my
> translate/rotate/scales independent of each other?".  You don't have
> to understand anything about the ordering to answer that question.

I think this highlights part of our disagreement!! Mathematically, these are never independent of each other: the order always matters if translate is involved (assuming there is more than one of the functions :)

[I exaggerate slightly: it also doesn't matter in some edge cases such as an identity like rotate(0). But if translate is in there, they are dependent. ]

You absolutely need to tell the treasure hunter whether to walk 20 paces then turn left, or turn left then walk 20 paces.

Dean