Re: [css-transforms] Making 'transform' match author expectations better with specialized 'rotate'/etc shorthands

From: Dean Jackson <dino@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2014 12:07:26 +1000
Cc: Dirk Schulze <dschulze@adobe.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
To: Shane Stephens <shans@google.com>

> On 16 Jul 2014, at 11:39 am, Shane Stephens <shans@google.com> wrote:
>
> You might find this hard to believe, but many web developers find it really confusing that
>
> transform: 'translate(100px) rotate(45deg)'
>
> and
>
> transform: 'rotate(45deg) translate(100px)'
>
> do different things. In other words, A significantly under-represents the confusion inherent in transform lists.

Do you realise that the proposal requires the same level of understanding?

Now they'll be confused that

rotate: 45deg;
translate: 100px;

and

transform: rotate(45deg) translate(100px);

do different things.

People need to understand the ordering of transforms. I don't see why you think that's going away. They used to teach LOGO/Turtle to 5 year olds.

Also, I believe it is a pretty limited view to think that people always want to translate before rotation. Sometimes you pick your heading and travel in a straight line (means you don't have to do trigonometry to place yourself on the circumference of a circle pointing outwards). Other times you want to move in a straight line and then orient yourself in space.

Dean