Re: [CSS2.1] Interop Issue in regards to fixed/absolute positioned children inside of inline-relative containers

On 7/14/14, 7:18 PM, Greg Whitworth wrote:
> We have found an interop issue on how an inline-relative’s offset should
> affect a fixed/absolute element.

To be clear, this is about the case when the absolute/fixed element has
auto offsets so what matter is the "static position" of CSS 2.1 section
10.3.7, right?

> Absolute Example: http://jsfiddle.net/eUV76/1/embedded/result/

Let's focus on this one, since I agree that absolute and fixed position
should be treated identically here.

In particular, let's focus on the "relative with offset:" case.

For the case it's interesting to look at what actually happens if the
positions are set to static: http://fiddle.jshell.net/eUV76/4/show/

I agree that it looks odd that Firefox is not vertically moving the
green bit and not moving the blue bit at all.  That said, the vertical
position of the green bit looks odd to me in IE as well, given where the
static position is.

The spec, of course says:

   But rather than actually calculating the dimensions of that
   hypothetical box, user agents are free to make a guess at its
   probable position.

-Boris