Re: [css-sizing] Extrinsic sizing of controls

From: fantasai <fantasai.lists@inkedblade.net>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2014 09:12:54 -0700
To: Greg Whitworth <gwhit@microsoft.com>, www-style list <www-style@w3.org>
On 06/27/2014 06:08 PM, Greg Whitworth wrote:
> I would like to discuss standardizing the extrinsic width of a text
> area when a width is applied. We could apply this more generally to
> other controls but I thought I would start where I have a decent
> test case.
>
> Take the following testcase: http://jsfiddle.net/es24Q/
>
> I prefer Firefox’s implementation of this, as it sets the width to
> what the author declared no matter how wide their own scroll bars
> are.
>
> Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure "extrinsic" isn't the word you're looking for,
maybe you meant "explicit"?

I think CSS2.1 already covers this:
   # In the case of a scrollbar being placed on an edge of the
   # element's box, it should be inserted between the inner
   # border edge and the outer padding edge. Any space taken up
   # by the scrollbars should be taken out of (subtracted from
   # the dimensions of) the containing block formed by the
   # element with the scrollbars.
http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/visufx.html#overflow

However, it could maybe use some clarification.

~fantasai