Re: [css-text-decor-3] determining position and thickness of line decorations

On 8 July 2014 22:57, Rafal Pietrak <rafal@ztk-rp.eu> wrote:

> W dniu 08.07.2014 19:36, Brad Kemper pisze:
>
>  On Jul 4, 2014, at 9:12 AM, Lea Verou <lea@verou.me> wrote:
>>
>>> Authors need fine grained control over text decorations and they will
>>> resort to any hack [1] to get it. In [1], the author explains how they
>>> tried everything, from borders to box-shadows, and ended up using gradient
>>> backgrounds (!), just to be able to control the color *and thickness* of
>>> text underlines.
>>> IMO there should be a 4th property in the `text-decoration` shorthand:
>>> `text-decoration-width` or `text-decoration-thickness`, with values of auto
>>> `auto` would produce the current behavior and would be the initial value.
>>>
>> I would love that. I usually prefer 1px underlines and strike-throughs,
>> and think the larger lines look bad (except on very large type, sometimes),
>> especially when anti-aliased due to not being even multiples of 1px. Others
>> might get what they want by using ems.
>>

> It's OK.
>
> But how could I have a red-wave-ish underscore with that? The one that
> indicates typeing errors in text editors these days?
>
> Wouldn't it be imaginable to have a "text-decoration-image" instead

FWIW I made a more advanced proposal for defining text decorations back in
2012[1], which unfortunately didn't get much attention.

Then again, if such text-decoration-image could have an explicit z-index of
> its own (but relative to z-index of text, for ease of use), then it could
> also be used to overstrike text like "wobbling marker".

This was also already discussed earlier.[2]

> To get to the awsome underscors of medium.com

Can these be seen by unregistered users? I fail to see anything special
related to text decoration.

Sebastian

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Sep/0462.html
[2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-style/2012Sep/0347.html