Re: [css-fonts] defining font faces with an empty or white space only family name

On 08/07/14 08:09, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 4, 2014 at 10:16 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
>> I don't think the css-fonts specification says anything special about using
>> a font family name of "" or " " when using @font-face.  Should either of
>> these be disallowed?
>>
>> http://mcc.id.au/temp/emptyfamily.html
>>
>> Firefox, Chrome and Safari support " " while IE does not.  None of these
>> browsers support "".
>
>  From the spec:
>
> # Font family names other than generic families must either be given quoted
> # as strings, or unquoted as a sequence of one or more identifiers.
>
> So an empty string is not a valid <family-name>.

Why is "" not counted as a font family name given as a quoted string?
It's a valid <string-token> according to css3-syntax.

   @font-face {
     font-family: "";
   }

Or are you saying that a font family name is already required to be not
an empty string, so the serialisation of that, "", can never be a valid
font family name (even though syntactically it's OK)?