Web input brainstorming face-to-face notes

From: Rick Byers <rbyers@chromium.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 09:51:48 -0400
To: "public-touchevents@w3.org" <public-touchevents@w3.org>, "public-pointer-events@w3.org" <public-pointer-events@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: Jacob Rossi <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com>
On June 23rd, a few people from the Firefox, Safari, IE and Chrome teams
met at Microsoft to brainstorm
<https://docs.google.com/a/chromium.org/presentation/d/16uP_ofdyXeGXpz4iR1vyi-HDczyAEIH0B3VFI_SxIYY/edit#slide=id.p>
[1]
about opportunities for better collaboration in improving input-related
APIs (where interoperability has historically been relatively poor).

Detailed notes from the meeting and links to presentations are here
<https://docs.google.com/a/chromium.org/document/d/1Bfcw9iR1SF2VYCXBegbqhbqWMim-ZEd7_iaQODE-RPY/edit#>
[2].

We identified the following areas as the most promising, and have agreed to
follow up in the relevant W3C lists:

Speccing mobile viewport behavior [CSSWG]
Exposing the visual viewport (eg. device-fixed) [CSSWG]
Future of touch events / pointer events [PEWG/TECG]
Hover/active rationalization [CSSWG]
Scroll response effects [FXTF/TECG]
Fractional scroll offsets [CSSWG]

If you've got questions about any specific area, rather than spam this
thread please *start a new thread on one of the relevant w3c lists *(and
feel free to cc me and Jacob).

Overall the mood was quite positive and I'm personally optimistic about the
opportunities here.  Although we identified some substantial differences in
philosophy, I got the impression we all felt the urgency for improving the
web platform and recognized that interoperability (and hence collaboration)
was essential.

Rick

[1]
https://docs.google.com/a/chromium.org/presentation/d/16uP_ofdyXeGXpz4iR1vyi-HDczyAEIH0B3VFI_SxIYY/edit#slide=id.p