Web input brainstorming face-to-face notes

From: Rick Byers <rbyers@chromium.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Jul 2014 09:51:48 -0400
To: "public-touchevents@w3.org" <public-touchevents@w3.org>, "public-pointer-events@w3.org" <public-pointer-events@w3.org>, "www-style@w3.org" <www-style@w3.org>
Cc: Jacob Rossi <Jacob.Rossi@microsoft.com>
On June 23rd, a few people from the Firefox, Safari, IE and Chrome teams
met at Microsoft to brainstorm
about opportunities for better collaboration in improving input-related
APIs (where interoperability has historically been relatively poor).

Detailed notes from the meeting and links to presentations are here

We identified the following areas as the most promising, and have agreed to
follow up in the relevant W3C lists:

Speccing mobile viewport behavior [CSSWG]
Exposing the visual viewport (eg. device-fixed) [CSSWG]
Future of touch events / pointer events [PEWG/TECG]
Hover/active rationalization [CSSWG]
Scroll response effects [FXTF/TECG]
Fractional scroll offsets [CSSWG]

If you've got questions about any specific area, rather than spam this
thread please *start a new thread on one of the relevant w3c lists *(and
feel free to cc me and Jacob).

Overall the mood was quite positive and I'm personally optimistic about the
opportunities here.  Although we identified some substantial differences in
philosophy, I got the impression we all felt the urgency for improving the
web platform and recognized that interoperability (and hence collaboration)
was essential.