Re: CSS Regions considered harmful

Hi HÃ¥kon,

You wrote:

> My primary point is that we should not abuse HTML tags as this is
> harmful to web semantics. That's problems #1

Agreed.

> and it should, alone, be enough to stop the [CSS Regions]
> specification from progressing.

Disagreed. Regions currently relies on dummy elements because the WG has
not made progress on defining features for explicitly creating boxes in
CSS. Once we have such features, content can be flowed into them with
the properties defined in CSS Regions.

Instead of applying stop energy to a spec that defines necessary
features (how to flow content through boxes of different sizes), we
should instead prioritize making progress on defining new box creation
mechanisms so that authors won't have to resort to dummy elements.

Ted