Re: [css-flexbox][css-grid] What is "white space"?

On 12/31/2013 06:41 AM, Simon Sapin wrote:
> On 06/12/2013 16:33, Simon Sapin wrote:

>>> Any of the characters mentioned.
>>

>> Ok. In that case, I suggest changing "that contains only white space" to
>> "that contains only code points that would be affected by 'white-space:
>> normal'"
>>
>> Or if that makes the sentence too contrived, instead add a sentence:
>> "White space for this purpose is any code point that would be affected
>> by 'white-space: normal'."
>>
>> In either case, have the link on 'white-space: normal', to the same URL.
>>
>> Do you think that works?
>>

> It could also be "white space that has been collapsed away by the 'white-space' property handling", as for the 'empty-cells'
> property:
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/tables.html#empty-cells

No, actually, in that case preserved white space and collapsed white
space are treated differently. Here we care only about the code points,
not about the value of the 'white-space' property. (This is analogous
to how anonymous table boxes are handled.)

The new spec text is
   # However, an anonymous flex item that contains only white space
   # (i.e. characters that can be affected by the white-space property)
   # is not rendered, as if it were display:none.

Let me know if that works.

~fantasai