Re: [gcpm][books] thematic breaks at the top of a page

On Mon, Jan 27, 2014 at 7:48 AM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
> One effect I noticed in a book recently was the presence of a horizontal
> line indicating a thematic break, but only if the break is at the top of a
> page.  So something like this:
>
>   hr {
>     border: none;
>     margin: 1em 0;
>     padding: 0 5em;
>   }
>
>   hr:at-top-of-page {
>     border-top: 1px solid black;
>   }
>
> When you use an <hr> and it lands at the top of a page, the gap by itself
> won't distinguish itself enough, and that no ink at the top of the page is
> aligned with the text on the following page probably doesn't look good.
>
> Maybe :at-top-of-page is too specific; you might want this effect at the top
> of other fragmenting containers, like columns.

As usual for proposals for style/layout-based selectors, this has the
potential for circular dependencies.  What happens if you use the
selector to move the element away from the top of the page, such that
something else is now at the top?  For example, you might float it, or
use the 'order' property, etc.