Re: CSS Regions considered harmful (was: [css-regions] issue 16858 redux)

On 1/23/14, 2:17 PM, "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

>Alan Stearns wrote:
>
> > >Here's a version that uses page floats:
> > >
> > >  http://www.wiumlie.no/2014/regions/uc1-float.html

> > >It works in Opera 12.16 or thereabouts.
> >
> > The floats in the max-width: 500px still interact with the content.
>It’s
> > not a slide-out menu.
>
>The text gently flows around it. Updated to so that the menu pushes
>the content aside when it appears:
>
>  http://www.wiumlie.no//2014/regions/uc1-float.html

That’s looking a bit better. Can you make the bottom button placement
adapt to the article length? Right now if the window is tall there’s a
whole bunch of white space between the article and the UI, and if the
window is short the buttons overlap the article and the content is
clipped. I see that you’re using paged overflow, but our demo adapts to
the window size and scrolls.

There also seems to be a bug in the paged overflow in my build (Opera
12.16) Once the view becomes paged, resizing the window vertically does
not re-layout the content. Resizing horizontally does.

I would not promote creating a menu background by adding a border to the
the content next to the menu, but to each their own I suppose. When the
content is shorter than the menu, the border doesn’t cover all of the
buttons. And when the window height is taller than the content, the menu
background doesn’t extend to the bottom of the window.

I’m not sure how you’d add the menu interaction. There needs to be a way
to dismiss the menu, and bring it back again.

Thanks,

Alan