Re: CSS Regions considered harmful (was: [css-regions] issue 16858 redux)

On 1/22/14, 3:20 PM, "Håkon Wium Lie" <howcome@opera.com> wrote:

>Also sprach Alan Stearns:
>
> > And, as I’ve been pointing out for months and months and months, there
>are
> > non-column-based use cases for directing flow content from one
>container
> > to another.
>
>Yes. Running headers, footnotes, and sidenotes are favorites of mine.
>There are ways to achive them without using regions.
>
>  http://books.spec.whatwg.org/

>What's your list of really good use cases that cannot be solved
>without regions?

For the third time just today (see comments 5 and 12 on your blog post),
take a look at the responsive UI demos I’ve mentioned here on this list
and demoed for the CSSWG. I think mobile UI is more relevant to the
current web platform than running headers and footers (though I expect
browsers will get to those too).

The first [1] is a version of the ‘breaking news’ use case we’ve had on
the use case wiki page for years. As the screen size narrows, UI elements
are collected into a named flow and placed in a slide-out menu.

The second [2] is a relatively new case that I think of as custom
overflow. In this case, as the screen size narrows overflow items in a nav
bar move to a second region nested in a popup menu.

Thanks,

Alan

[1]
http://blogs.adobe.com/webplatform/2013/04/08/adaptive-web-app-ui-with-css-