Re: A wish for 2014: page transitions

On Jan 16, 2014, at 11:59 PM, Daniel Glazman <daniel.glazman@disruptive-innovations.com> wrote:

> On 16/01/2014 18:12, Sylvain Galineau wrote:
>
>> Related - at least I think of it as related - I have also seen interest in transitioning from one MQ state to another i.e. when going from portrait to landscape I may want some level of animation between the two layouts. If that's desirable then effects from one page to the next are reasonable too.
>

> This already works in WebKit, Blink and Firefox nightlies.
> Test:

>  #foo {
>    background-color: #33ff33;
>    -webkit-transition: background-color 4s ease-in 0s;
>    transition: background-color 4s ease-in 0s;
>  }
>
>  @media screen and (max-width: 500px) {
>    #foo { background-color: red; }
>  }

Sure, it works for very simple changes. There are many other use-cases that aren't addressed well e.g. on a screen rotate you may want an animation between two components on the screen which are not in fact the same element markup-wise. Moreover, even if your needs are relatively simple and doable with the current state of the art, things can get unwieldy very quickly. For instance you may not want the animation back to landscape to be merely the reverse of the one from landscape to portrait e.g. some games slide in a pane when you go to landscape but it doesn't slide back out the same way when you go back to landscape. In which case you end up defining transitions in both MQs etc. Overall, what is supported today scratches the surface of what app developers want (and of what native app devs do). And I suspect some of those use-cases could be attractive for cross-page effects as well.