Re: padding lost in overflow

On Mon, Jan 13, 2014 at 12:57 PM, Robert O'Callahan
<robert@ocallahan.org> wrote:
> I think the best way to achieve what you want is to not officially alter the
> container element's content and padding boxes. Instead, just add extra space
> to the scrollable area based on the computed padding of the container
> element, defining carefully where it is added with a similar approach to
> what I suggested before. That would address most of the problems I've
> raised, but we'd still have the situation that APIs referring to the content
> or padding boxes of the container element are going to be confusing to
> authors, more so than if we stick to the hard line that Gecko, IE and the
> spec are currently taking.
>
> I think focusing on my previous email would help progress this discussion.
> That example makes it crystal clear that if you put padding where you want
> it to be, authors will have to think about the content and padding boxes of
> the element being in two different places depending on how they're being
> used (unless you want to try making drastic changes to the rendering of
> existing content).

After thinking through it more, yeah, you're right.  We don't want to
*actually* mess with the boxes, but we *do* want to allow people to
use 'padding' for the end edges of their scrollable content the same
way they can with the start edges.

So yeah, just growing the overflow area by the amount of the padding
along the end edges would work.